I do things like put water in shampoo bottles to get every last bit, or I save twisty ties to use on other tie-less things, or sometimes I use half a kleenex, rip off the used part, and keep the clean part. Lately I've bought lunch meat that comes in little Gladware containers so I can reuse them!
I usually don't mind doing these little things, but once in a while I suffer because of my cheapness. For example:
This toothpaste tastes pretty gross. It's the orange kind. Orange flavored? No, I don't think so. Well, maybe it could be–I usually dislike orange+otherflavor combinations. But if it were orange flavored, wouldn't it say on the tube? It's just a mysterious gross flavor.
This is something AJ "brought into our marriage". In fact, he had TWO very large tubes of this type of toothpaste. And look how nice and shiny and expensive it looks. So even after I realized it tastes like you-know-what, I still couldn't just trash them. Right? Right guys?
Oh, I almost forgot to mention...I had to use up this toothpaste all on my own. AJ's dentist recommends he gets the sensitive kind. He's sensitive, guys. (sometimes sensitive toothpaste comes in a pink tube! *snicker*)
So here I am, TWO years later. After the suffering and the squeezing and the hurts-my-hand-to-get-it-off lid and the frothy orange spit and the after-taste, IT'S FINALLY GONE!!!
Let's celebrate.
I bought myself some Colgate Total. With a $1.50 off coupon of course! Score!
7 comments:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! This made me laugh so hard. I know what you mean about being so cheap you use the gross toothpaste. We have a tube of pink valentine mint (disgusting) that I refuse to throw away. I even moved it with us to the new apartment! I can't believe you tear of the unused end of a kleenex though and keep it for later! Next thing I know you'll be rinsing out your used paper towels and drying them for later use...
Yay!!! I had to use that toothpaste once, and I thought I was going to gag so hard I would choke to death on my tongue. Just like when people go into seizures Yes, it really was that bad. I love Colgate Total soooo much, but like AJ, I have sensitive teeth, so if I use it for too many days in a row, my teeth start to hurt. But it's ok if my toothpaste comes in a pink tube because I'm a girl. So what does that say about AJ?
Ben hated that I chose that toothpaste once. I like that you mentioned, not only the horrible taste, but also how hard it is to open--our tube got diformed really fast from how I held it to open it.
Yeah, and I already get in trouble for squeezing it in the middle. Good thing we have separate tubes for that reason too.
Now I don't feel so lame for my frugality, thanks. And after you start reusing your paper towels like Meg mentioned, you'll start putting your used zip-loc baggies in the dishwasher so you can reuse them as well.
Congrats!!! May your mouth feel fresh, minty and clean now.
that is so funny. i wish i shared your aptitude for thriftiness, i am awful at it. we bought toothpaste a couple of months ago that has a screw off lid instead of a flip top, it drove me CRAZY! plus it seemed to last twice as long as normal because i just hated it so much. but, i didn't buy a new one till we were out, though i really wanted to replace it the day i bought it, see i'm improving.
Post a Comment