Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A Red Air day in Logan

Last Saturday AJ's sister Ashlee came to visit. That evening we went lookin for some inner-tainment and found ourselves at a real bonified Utah truck pull. A truck pull. It was pretty much was it sounds like.

Now, I don't know the "lingo" so bear with me. Basically, there is this trailer thing with a big weight on it, and a guy sits in it and pushes buttons that makes the weight slide around and get harder to pull. Then you take a hick in a jumpsuit who gets into their truck, and the truck pulls the heavy trailer thing. They've got about a hunnerd (ahem, hundred) yards to pull the weight, and it gets heavier as they go. So the goal is to go farther, and do it faster than the next hick.

Here's a patriotic truck taking its turn. I think this truck's name was "Ram Tuff", but the more hilarious names I wrote down (because I didn't want to forget them!) were "Ain't Skeered", "Git U Sum", "Shake and Break", and "Happy Hooker". Kind of amazing.

video

That's not the only entertainment. There was also mullet-watching:



And don't forget the game, "How many two-tone hairstyles can you find in this photo?" If you don't know what I mean by two-tone, look at an Oreo cookie.

(Answer: Three.)

And let's not forget the deezel (diesel) category. In this fine category we got to witness jet black fumes shooting out of these trucks' hoods. They would start their engines, puff out a white cloud, then gray, then black would blast out.


Then leave a magical red-air-day type of cloud behind them the whole way.

Here's what I don't understand. Look at this truck. The driver gets in, then the body lowers down on top of them. I don't remember the name of this category. It was something like "Trucks that cost more than this fiscally-irresponsible person's trailer home". They were somewhat cool to watch, but I didn't get the practical reason. Then AJ informed me that there is no practical reason. (I referred to AJ for most of my questions, since he grew up in Idaho and I figured he'd know more about hick behavior than me. *Burn*) He said, "It's so they can get into their trucks since they don't have functioning doors". Oh my gosh, come on.

video

What was just too cute was there were couples doing this together. They'd have matching jumpsuits and matching paint jobs on their matching $60,000 trucks. How romantic.

To top off my confusion about this...sport...? was the time one of the trucks had a mechanical issue. It went about 30 yards and then there was a loud pop and he stopped. The guy who had the microphone took a break from making comments and jokes and announced, "can we get a tow rig down here to pull out this truck?" Then an ATV zooms in to help out the stuck truck.

So then I HAD to ask AJ, "We are at a towing event. There are 20 trucks sitting here, all equipped for towing. Why the heck are they bringing in a "tow rig" to help out that truck?!" He said, "They're just...not...made for that." Then I gave him a crinkly confused expression and he rolled his eyes.

It's cheaper to get a crappy car, paint it, then crunch it in a demolition derby. And it's more entertaining. So I just don't get what attracts these drivers to the idea of spending all the money they have on this sort of thing. But hey it was fun to watch. So if you want to come visit, I'll surely go again.

5 comments:

Ashlee said...

Hehehe! I bet you can spot a couple bump-its in the two-tone picture as well.

Jared said...

So awesome. I've always wanted to go to a truck pull, just for the people-watching.

Jenni said...

Awesome. I also have to go to Jared with any hick-related questions. It's a totally different world for me. Funny thing is that we live a lot closer to some real, bona-fide hicks in our new town, so I may be getting a real life education in that area very soon.

Andrea said...

Wow, that looks so boring (other than the people-watching, I guess). I just don't get what some people think is good entertainment.

But, your post was entertaining, so thanks for that.

Lindsay said...

wow. we had our first experience with tractor-pulling (sounds pretty similar, except with tractors of course) at the county fair out here last fall. it was pretty loud, so we left after a few tractors to go get some more fried food. =) yet another moment that i realized we're just not rural folks. i had no idea they did this with trucks too!